Aboriginal Leadership Program
A leader must be brave enough to raise their voice and act. Leaders are an inspiration to others, and help people achieve a common goal.
Some leaders are born, but others are made. Unlock your potential to lead with the City of Saskatoon's Urban Aboriginal Leadership Program.
The program is an umbrella for a variety of exciting experiences that teach you how to be a leader in Saskatoon. Which project grabs your attention?
- Aboriginal Lifeguard Program
- Adult & Community Leadership Development
- Recruitment of Summer Program Staff
- Atoske Skills & Employment Summer Training Camp
- Yearly Youth Leadership Summits
The Aboriginal role models who participate in our programs are vital to our communities. We want to see you as a leader at our leisure centres, in our community associations, at community events, and as a volunteer in the city.
Atoske Summer Training Program
The Atoske summer training program is an excellent opportunity for students to strengthen their academic and life skills, while exploring various careers offered through the City of Saskatoon. These skills are essential for future employment with the City of Saskatoon and other youth serving agencies. This camp provides an environment in which such skills can be acquired.
The following testimonials were provided from graduates of the Atoske skills development program.
Atoske Program Graduate- JoHannah Angus
Atoske Program Graduate- Dallas Fiddler
Atoske Program Graduate- Hailey Lavallee
Atoske Program Graduate - Joshua Scott
Atoske Program Graduate - Robin Worm
- To encourage more Urban Aboriginals to become leaders in sports, culture, and recreation activities.
- To see additional Aboriginal residents on community boards and committees.
- To increase awareness of opportunities and resources for leadership development, and increase awareness of the help that's available to access these opportunities.
- To recruit summer program staff for the City of Saskatoon.
- To create new leadership development opportunities within the Urban Aboriginal community.
- To collaborate and partner with community based organizations and businesses.
What are you waiting for? Take the lead.
MĒ TA WĒ TĀN Programs
Whatever your age there is a MĒ TA WĒ TĀN program for you. MĒ TA WĒ TĀN programs are a fun way for all ages to get active in sport, culture and recreation. Whether you are taking an aquacize class with an Aboriginal instructor or learning the art of Aboriginal drums and song, attending a MĒ TA WĒ TĀN class means you’ll meet others with similar cultural interests, learn more about the Aboriginal traditions, and get active in an environment that helps you learn the tools to a healthier lifestyle and staying active. You’ll always feel welcome and have loads of fun at the City of Saskatoon’s MĒ TA WĒ TĀN programs.
Click here to view the MĒ TA WĒ TĀN Community Leisure Guide for current programming opportunities.
Adult Drop-in Programs
Drop-in Spring Youth Centres
MĒ TA WĒ TĀN Travelling Van
The MĒ TA WĒ TĀN Travelling Van visits play programs throughout the summer and provides some added Aboriginal games and activities. Ask the summer leasders for more details or call 306-975-3378 for more details.
MĒ TA WĒ TĀN Upcoming Events
Little Sisters in Action (Fall 2017). Watch for details coming soon