A total of $20,000 is allocated annually to local non-profit organizations implementing initiatives that support the City of Saskatoon’s strategic goal of Environmental Leadership, with $10,000 of this total allocated specifically to projects that relate to protection of our water resources. To be eligible for the grant, activities must relate to one of the following categories:
- protection of the environment;
- conservation of natural resources; and/or
- environmental communications, education and research.
2018 Grant Recipients
Congratulations to the successful applicants of the 2018 Environmental Grant Program:
- Mount Royal Community Association ($4,500): to expand the composting and water conservation aspects associated with the Mount Royal Community Garden.
- 25th Street Theatre Centre Inc. ($3,400): to increase waste diversion at the Nutrien Fringe Theatre and Street Festival by improving and expanding recycling and composting opportunities.
- Native Plant Society of Saskatchewan ($3,400): to deliver the 2018 NatureCity Festival, designed to encourage residents to appreciate and value the wildlife and wild places in our urban landscape.
- South Saskatchewan River Watershed Stewards Inc. ($3,000): to develop and deliver a 'biobed' pilot project for the responsible disposal of herbicide rinsate (leftover rinse solution).
- Safe Drinking Water Foundation ($2,000): to provide support to schools for water conservation initiatives identified through the Student Action on Saskatoon Water Attitudes Competition.
- AKA Artist-Run ($1,450): to re-Indigenize Riversdale's ecology by educating residents on the cultural significance of Saskatoon Berry bushes, including how to plant and care for the bushes.
- Saskatoon Food Bank & Learning Centre ($1,450): to educate new and existing gardeners on sustainable gardening techniques through the Garden Patch Workshop Series.
- Nutana Community Association ($800): to educate residents on the benefits of a robust bat population, through the Building a Batty Neighbourhood project.