In communities across the world, there is a growing need and responsibility to provide options that give people the opportunity to walk to more places, and to feel safe while doing so.
Saskatoon is one of the most beautiful cities in Canada, and is walkable every month of the year. Active transportation (walking, roller blading or cycling) is encouraged with the design of bike routes and scenic walking trails for active users.
Walking is an ideal activity to promote because:
- It is free and requires no special equipment
- It is accessible to all regardless of age, income, location and ability
- It is within the physical capabilities of most people and is a realistic goal for inactive people
- Walking combines all the physical benefits of activity with an opportunity for social contact and support
- Walking can easily be incorporated into our daily lives
- It can be enjoyed safely and there is a low risk of injury
Encouraging people to become more active can bring about a wide range of benefits such as:
- Disease prevention
- Weight management and the prevention of associated illnesses
- Positive mental health promotion