The Greenhouse and Conservatory Program is responsible for providing and maintaining floral displays for public viewing and/or landscape enhancement in the Civic Conservatory, City Hall and other civic facilities as well as major public roadways, parks and public open spaces.
We operate a year-round facility to grow and maintain flowering crops and a wide range of tropical plants for the City of Saskatoon Conservatory and City Hall. The Conservatory has 12 to 14 scheduled flower shows annually; 4000 plants maintained daily; 350 plant and flower species used.
We also grow seasonal bedding plants in flats and 4" pots for park flower beds (51,000 annuals produced each year) and the flower pot program.
Saskatoon Flower Pot Program
Parks Branch creates and places over 900 flower pots on street corners and boulevards. All of the annuals are grown in 4" pots at the City's greenhouses. By planting a 4" pot, the container fills in quickly and creates instant color, brightening our streets for the summer months. The showy black pots are maintained by the Business Improvement District staff, and the large grey boulevard pots are maintained by the Parks Branch. The flower pots receive over 80 gallons of water each summer and lots of tender care from the maintenance staff.
Annuals Used in the 2017 Flower Pot Program:
- Argyranthemum - White Butterfly
- Begonia – Big Pink Green Leaf
- Coleus – Kong Rose, Chocolate Covered Cherry, Crimson Gold, Lime Delight, Watermelon
- Cleome – Pequena Rosalita
- Draceaena - Green, Red
- Green Fountain Grass - Burgundy, Green
- Fuchsia – Gartenmeister
- Marigold – Moonsong Deep Orange
- Salvia – Evolution Blue, Flare
- Rudbeckia – Denver Daisy
- Begonia - Santa Cruz Sunset, San Francisco, Dragon Wing Red, Solenia Red Velvet, Solenia Dusty Rose
- Geranium – Dark Red Calliope, Timeless series: Fire, Orange, Rose
- Marigold, Moonsong Deep Orange, Taishan Orange, Gold Lady
- Sunpatiens - Scarlet Red, Clear White
- Bidens – Goldilocks Rocks
- Lobularia - Blushing Princess, Snow Princess
- Lotus Vine
- Lysimachia (Creeping Jenny) - Goldilocks
- Petunia – Wave series: Blue, Purple, Red Velour
- Petunia – Supertunia series: Bordeaux, Indigo Charm, Orchid Charm, Mini Blue, Mini Silver, Raspberry Blast, Really Red, Royal Velvet, Deep Red, Vista Fuschsia, Vista Bubblegum, Vista Silverberry, White Improved
- Petunia - Surfinia series: Deep Red
- Setcreasea – Purple Heart
- Sweet Potato Vine (Ipomoea) – Sweet Caroline Light Green
- Verbena – Temari Patio Blue