Become a Fitness Instructor
No matter what your current job is you may be eligible to become a contract Fitness Instructor for the City of Saskatoon. It is a job for people like you, who naturally stand out and love to lead others in achieving personal goals. A teaching job where lessons are out of the ordinary and fun is mandatory.
If you are ready to make the next move, here are the positions that are suited to you:
Fitness & Wellness Consultants
A Kinesiology Degree is preferred. Kinesiology students with a Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) certification may also qualify. We are currently seeking people with the following Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology (CSEP) certifications:
- Certified Personal Trainers (CPT)
- Certified Exercise Physiologists (CEP)
- Fitness Consultants: perform personal training services, weight room orientations and conduct educational workshops
- Wellness Consultants: deliver programs to First Step/Wellness program participants
Anyone may train to become a contract Fitness Instructor. You will enjoy the satisfaction of working in an energized environment, promoting health and fitness to people of a variety of shapes, sizes and ages while providing safe, effective and appropriate exercises to meet the needs of a group of participants. Instructors earn good pay, learn valuable life skills and have a lot of fun while they work!
- Group Fitness Instructors: instruct land fitness, aquatic fitness, fitness yoga, exercise for older adults
- Specialized Land Fitness Instructors: instruct prenatal and postnatal exercise
Other Contract Positions
Become a Recreation Program Instructor
If you are interested in sharing your skills and knowledge in the area of recreation, the City is always looking for Recreation Program Instructors to teach various classes such as Learn to Skate or for specific age groups (preschool, children, youth, etc.). Certification is not required for these positions. Contact us for more information on current opportunities.
Become an Instructor for your Community Association! In 3 Easy Steps…
1. Identify the sports, arts, culture and/or recreational activities you are experienced in and have an interest in teaching. Check out the Community Association section
of the Leisure Guide for examples of current classes.
3. Work and earn extra money at your convenience! Pick the program times and locations that work best for you. You can accept or decline any opportunities you
For the opportunity to teach new programs, call 306-975-3378 and ask to speak to the programmer in your neighbourhood.
Instructor Certification Process
Becoming a Group Fitness Instructor is both challenging and gratifying. If you believe you have what it takes, we want to help you get the qualifications you need:
The first step toward becoming a Group Fitness Instructor is simply a matter of getting certified. If you are already certified by an organization recognized by the National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA), then you're well on your way to inspiring a squad of new fitness fans of your own. The City and neighbourhood Community Associations recognize certifications from the following bodies:
- Saskatchewan Parks and Recreation Association (SPRA)
If you're not certified, don't worry!
Simply contact the City to enroll in one of the fitness certification programs. Complete the following modules:
- Exercise Theory,
- Group Exercise Fundamentals and Specialty and/or Aquatic Exercise and/or Exercise for Older Adults, and
- Have a current Standard First Aid and CPR-Level A or C
Once completed, you're ready to apply to be a Group Fitness Instructor. Just bring in a copy of your fitness certifications and a mentoring application form (related documents to the right). You will then be matched up with one of our fitness pros for mentoring*. Health, vitality and an invigorating job are closer than you think!
*applies to City applicants only
The Bursary Program
The City's Bursary Program provides financial incentives for qualifying participants becoming certified Group Fitness Instructors with us. Application forms are found in the related documents.
For more information, details on upcoming information sessions or to get started right away, contact the Fitness Specialist by calling 306-975-7808 or by email. In the meantime, watch this short video to get you inspired: