Plumbing installations are governed by the Saskatchewan Plumbing Regulations, as adopted and enforced by the Building Standards Plumbing Inspectors.
To obtain a permit, you must be a licensed plumbing contractor registered with the City of Saskatoon, and you must submit a Plumbing Permit Application to Building Standards. Once plumbing permits are issued they are not transferable. Inspections are then carried out, with a final inspection required before the new system can be put into service.
When a plumbing permit is required:
- whenever a plumbing system is being constructed, changed, renewed or repaired.
When a plumbing permit is not required:
- to clear a stoppage in a drainage system.
- to repair a leak in a water distribution system.
- to replace a fixture without any change to the drainage system.
- to replace existing faucets, water heaters or valves.
Plumbing Permit Regulations
- All piping must be installed in accordance with the requirements of the Saskatchewan Plumbing Regulations
- It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that the plumbing contractors comply with the Saskatchewan Plumbing Regulations
- A plumbing system may not be constructed, altered, extended, renewed or repaired unless a plumbing permit has been obtained for the work
- Permits are not required to clear a stoppage in a drainage system, repair a leak in a water distribution system, replace a fixture without any change to the drainage system, or to replace existing faucets, water heaters or valves
- Inspections take place at the rough-in and final stages. Several rough-in inspections may be required depending on the complexity of the specific project.
- Prior to final inspection, all fixtures and equipment must be installed and ready to use.
- If a fixture has been roughed-in for future use, the outlet must be sealed with an approved plug or cap. Covers may not be placed until the fixture has been tested and inspected.
- If any part of the system is not approved after the inspection or test, the owner must make any changes or replacements, and the work may be subject to further testing and inspection.
Plumbing Permit Fees
|Minimum permit fee||$75.00||$83.00||$91.00||$100.00||$102.00|
|For construction, reconstruction, extension or alterations of the plumbing system, as well as the installation of fixtures on a previously permitted rough-in||$17.00/fixture||$17.80/fixture||$18.60/fixture||$19.50/fixture||$19.89/fixture|
|For positive adjustments after the permit is issued||$19.00/fixture||$19.80/fixture||$20.60/fixture||$21.50/fixture||$21.89/fixture|
|Partial inspection fee||$75.00||$75.00||$75.00||$75.00||$75.00|
|Call back fee||$100.00||$100.00||$100.00||$100.00||$100.00|
|Inspection only (where no fixtures are involved)||$75.00||$75.00||$75.00||$75.00||$75.00|