Saskatoon Light & Power
Overnight Power Outage: Brevoort Park & Eastview (May 11-12, 2017)
Saskatoon Light & Power is planning an overnight power outage in the neighbourhoods of Brevoort Park and Eastview to perform necessary system maintenance. The outage will begin at 11:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 11th and power service is scheduled to resume at approximately 5:30 a.m. on Friday, May 12th. Power is expected to be restored on schedule however, if unexpected issues arise, customers can access updates at saskatoon.ca/service-alerts, by following @YXEServiceAlert on Twitter, or by calling the 24-hr trouble line at 306-975-2621. Affected businesses and residences will receive a door hanger notice that includes tips on preparing for a scheduled outage. You can find an e-copy of this door hanger, as well as maps of the outage areas, under the Related Documents menu on the right sidebar of this page.
Our mandate is to provide safe, reliable, and cost effective electricity in an environmentally responsible way to the over 59,000 properties within our service area.
We purchase power in bulk from SaskPower, and distribute that power through a system of substations, distribution lines and transformers to our customers.
We also own and maintain the City’s street light system.
Our focus is customer service. We maintain our infrastructure, and ensure our staff are well-trained and safe. This helps ensure both power outages, and the time it takes to restore power to our customers is minimized.
Saskatoon Light & Power Service Area
As the boundaries intersect in some neighbourhoods, SL&P and SaskPower each provide service to the following areas: Airport Business Area, Arbor Creek, College Park East, CN Industrial, Erindale, Evergreen, North Industrial and Westview.
Saskatoon Light & Power Customer Information Guide
The Saskatoon Light & Power Customer Information Guide provides information for anyone wanting to upgrade an existing or install a new electrical service. The Guide includes service entrance and metering requirements as well as safety information.
For more information, please call 306-975-7768.
Careers at Saskatoon Light & Power
We believe in providing our staff with opportunities for growth and training, and career advancement.
We’re currently engaged in a proactive apprenticeship training program that will see apprenticeship opportunities continue over the next several years.
In co-operation with International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union 319, over the next decade we will see a transition from non-trade support positions to Journeyman apprenticeships. In addition, as employees retire, there will be a number of opportunities for further apprenticeships to replace these workers.
The apprenticeship program focuses on the Power Line Person and Power Electrician trades. Those who successfully complete the apprenticeships will have the opportunity to work in an exciting, challenging and rewarding field of work.
If you are interested in pursuing an apprenticeship position, our minimum requirements include:
- Grade 12 education
- Math A30 (Algebra 20)
- Math C30 (Trigonometry 30)
- Physics 30
Are you up to the challenge? Visit Careers at the City of Saskatoon.
Did You Know?
Saskatoon Light & Power:
- Was founded in 1906.
- Provides power to about 117,200 Saskatoon residents!
- Serves an area about 69 square kilometers in size.
- Owns and maintains approximately 20,000 energy-efficient street light fixtures.
- Approximately 1,300 LED street lights have been installed by Saskatoon Light & Power, which has reduced total energy consumption by an estimated 434,581 kilowatt-hours annually.
- Is debt free and contributes its annual operating surplus of about $23.0 million to the City.
- Pays the City an additional $20.5 million each year in municipal surcharges as a grant in lieu of taxes.
- Provides approximately 157 permanent jobs in the areas of Administration, System Planning, Construction and Operation. Utility meter reading and bill collection services common to Electrical, Water and Sewer Utilities are provided by the Revenue Division, Asset & Financial Management Department of the City.
- Provides decorative lighting on twelve main City roadways and bridges during the Christmas season.
- Is a member of the Canadian Electricity Association (CEA) and participates in the CEA Sustainable Electricity Program.