Multi-Unit Dwellings: Garbage (Waste) Bins
The City of Saskatoon provides a weekly garbage collection to apartments and condominiums in metal bins. Building property owners, managers, or condominium associations purchase their own metal bins and can apply for a grant to offset their costs. Buildings may contract services privately.
What you can expect from us
- The City provides weekly garbage collections of metal garbage (waste) bins using automated trucks.
How you can help us
- Bag and tie all garbage before putting in your Metal Waste Bin.
- No recyclables, hazardous waste or liquids.
- No furniture, oversized materials, or construction waste.
- Review “What goes in your metal waste bin?”.
- Not sure how to dispose an item, go to the Waste Wizard.
- Do not park in front of metal waste bins.
- If you experience issues with metal bin capacities, please contact your property manager.
What goes in your metal waste bin?
Residents living in multi-unit dwellings and condominiums can use metal bins for all their non-recyclable and non-hazardous household garbage including Styrofoam, diapers and wipes. Use the Waste Wizard tool to find out what goes in your garbage bin.
Metal Waste Bin Grant
The Metal Waste Bin Grant is designed to offset the cost of purchasing and maintaining a metal bin at multi-unit dwellings. Property owners and condominium associations with metal waste bins may apply for a grant amount of $8 per year per residential unit. Properties are required to apply each year for this grant, by November 1, 2017. Applications will be reviewed and processed at the end of the year and applicants will be notified in December 2017. Apply now!
Please ensure your property meets all of the grant criteria:
- Single-family homes that receive garbage collection through black roll-out garbage carts (provided by the City) are not eligible for the grant.
- Use of the grant is at the discretion of the property owners and/or condominium association. Options include maintaining (or purchasing, as required) an approved metal bin for collection by the City (a service paid for through property taxes), or to help off-set the cost of a private waste removal service.
- In order to use the City’s garbage collection service, metal bins must be pre-approved by the Water and Waste Stream Division. Please call 306-975-2486 to arrange for pre-approval.
In order to use the City’s garbage collection service, metal bins and garbage enclosures must be pre-approved by the Water and Waste Stream Division. Property managers can call 306-975-2486 to arrange for pre-approval.
Rates and Fees
Multi-unit garbage collections and metal waste bin grants are funded through property taxes.