You are here

Special Event FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions About Special Events

How do I apply?

Fill out the Special Event Application Form and submit to or return to:

Recreation & Community Development Allocations (Booking) Office
Lawson Civic Cente
225 Primrose Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7K 5W1
Fax: 306-975-2954
Phone: 306-975-2951

Your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted with further details.

Which parks are suitable for larger events?
  • Kiwanis Memorial Park (south of the Delta Bessborough)
  • Rotary Park (south of the Broadway Bridge along Saskatchewan Crescent)
  • Victoria Park (south of the Senator Sid Buckwold Bridge along Spadina Crescent)
  • Friendship Park (south of the Broadway Bridge off 19th Street)
  • Diefenbaker Park (off St Henry Avenue)
  • Meewasin Park (north of the Circle Drive Drive along Spadina Crescent)

Will I require insurance for the event?
  • All bookings require a minimum $2 million requirement for liability insurance.  The City reserves the right to request additional liability insurance. A copy of your liability insurance must be submitted to the Allocations Office prior to the release of your contract.
  • If the event is serving or selling alcohol, the minimum requirement for general liability insurance is $5 million, with host liquor endorsement.  The City reserves the right to request additional general liability insurance (see the Alcohol Sales and Service section for more information).

Will I be charged rental fees?

This depends on where you intend to hold your event. For general rental charges, please refer to the Services & Fees page.

Are there any programs available to help me finance my event?

A number of City grants are available to help organizers fund their events. To find out if you qualify for one or more of these grants, view the Grants Program for more information.  Tourism Saskatoon may also be able to provide more information to assist with planning your event.

What arrangements are required if the event is to include...

To find out what arrangements are required, please refer to the Special Event Information Guide for details on the following:

  • Alcohol Sales and Services
  • Food and Beverage
  • Security and Policing
  • Tents and Temporary Structures

What about having amplified music at an event?

Event organizers are responsible for the monitoring and control of noise resulting from their event.  These guidelines are intended to assist organizers to ensure the noise from the event does not intrude unreasonably on the public living in the area:

  • event organizers shall designate a responsible individual who is available by phone on a 24  hour basis and who has the authority to respond appropriately to complaints regarding the event.  The contact name, phone number, event name, dates, times, and location will be provided to any member of the public wishing to contact the event organizers directly.
  • prior to the event, organizers will contact the community association and any business or resident within a two block radius with the details of the event, including dates, times, and location of the event.  The event organizer should inquire as to whether the association wishes an event representative to attend one of their regular business meetings to discuss any event issues that may affect residents. Please call (306)-975-3378 for community association contact information.
  • if amplification equipment is used, noise levels should not exceed 105 decibels, measured from 100 feet (30m) from in front of the stage or location of the speaker system.  A balanced range of sound to minimize base tones is required.  Speaker systems are to be positioned in a manner that tilts them downward into the crowd attending the event versus projecting over the crowd and into park property.  The onus is on the event organizer to self-monitor the sound level.  
  • your event program should be scheduled to allow for times when there is no amplified sound.  This will assist in alleviating complaints about incessant repetitive noise.

Outdoor public events on private property that occur outside the Noise Bylaw hours are required to request an extension by submitting a Noise Bylaw Extension Request Form to .  Make your request at least 60 days prior to your event.

Noise Bylaw hours are:

Days Time
Monday - Thursday 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Friday - Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

The following information must be included in the Noise Bylaw Extension Request:

  • organizer contact information
  • event name, date(s) and time(s) and description of event; 
  • the ward where the event is taking place (Ward Map); and
  • identify previous years and locations of event.

Note: Events on civic property that occur outside the Noise Bylaw hours will have a Noise Bylaw Extension Request submitted by the City's Administration using information from the Special Event Application Form

Are there special safety regulations that apply to special events?

As with any event, safety of participants should be paramount to an organizer. The City has a number of guidelines outlined in the Recreational Facilities & Park Usage Bylaw 7767 that help to ensure safety.

Are Hot Air Balloons allowed in parks?

Hot Air Balloons are allowed in a select number of parks for launches and tethering. Applications can be obtained from at Lawson Civic Centre, 225 Primrose Drive.

Please note: Special Event Application must be fill out prior to the Hot Air Balloon application.

Can amenities be rented for events?

   If you are in need of portable toilets, BBQs, tables, chairs, and other similar items, you should arrange rental through one of the local special event rental companies.

Can I have my wedding in a park?

Weddings can be booked in a park as long as it is understood that park space cannot be exclusive to this occasion. Parks are open public space and there is no way to control other uses (activities) that may occur in the park. Although any park can be booked for weddings, more popular locations include:

  • Vimy Memorial Bandshell (Kiwanis Memorial Park beside the Delta Bessborough)
  • Saskatoon Forestry Farm Park and Zoo (1903 Forestry Drive)
  • Albert School Park (12th Street & Clarence Avenue)
  • Wiggins Park (Wiggins Avenue & 3rd Street)
  • Ashworth Holmes Park (Avenue E North & 30th Street)
  • Buena Vista Park (Victoria Avenue & 7th Street)
  • River Landing Amphitheatre (between Traffic and Sid Buckwold Bridges off of Spadina Crescent)