The City of Saskatoon and our recycling service provider, Loraas Recycle, use collection trucks with mechanical arms to empty your carts. To ensure your carts are emptied safely and quickly, they need to be properly placed.
Tips for Cart Placement
- Set out your cart by 7 a.m. on your collection day (actual collection times may vary each day).
- Make sure the cart lid is COMPLETELY closed (even a 2 inch lift is not completely closed). Trying to empty overfilled carts can result in spills and litter.
- Place your cart so there is at least 1.2 metres (4 feet) of space on all sides, with no obstacles in the way of the collection trucks. See collection guidelines below.
- Return your cart to your property (and off of roadways, sidewalks, back lanes and other municipal property) by 7 p.m. on collection day to prevent fines, theft, or damage to your cart.
- Check out the cart collection video (Recycling Tips: Don’t get left behind) and sign-up for collection reminders for your household.
The Waste Bylaw #8310 prohibits tampering with the carts and their contents wherever they may be found.
Front Street Collection
Place your cart on the street with wheels facing the curb, and at least four feet of space on both sides, to give adequate space for the collection truck arms. Carts should not be placed on the sidewalk. Do not block your neighbours' driveway.
Back Lane Collection
Place your cart on the edge of the lane with wheels facing the fence, and at least four feet of space between your cart an all obstacles to give adequate space for collection truck arms. Please watch for low overhead utility lines. Do not block the lane.
Back lane placement applies to Blue and Black Carts only. Green Carts are front street collection only.
Arrange your carts in the centre, facing in the same direction as your neighbours’ carts and with at least four feet between them to give adequate space for collection truck arms.
Review more cul-de-sac scenarios
Place your cart on the street with wheels facing the curb or snowdrift and at least four feet on both sides to give adequate space for collection truck arms. Do not place carts on top of snow drifts.
Full close cart lids. Carts left open may not be collected. Excess waste beside your cart will not be collected.
Be a Cart Crusader
Whether they're out of town or physically unable to move their cart, help your neighbours in need by offering to roll their carts out on collection days. And don't be afraid to ask for help yourself. Leave no cart behind!
We're here to help! Please select the area that applies to you.
- Report a missed collection
- Request a new cart (damaged or new address)
- Report illegal dumping
- Review Collection Calendar (Recycling, Organics, Garbage)
All other questions or requests can be directed to the following:
- Black Cart – Water & Waste Operations at 306-975-2486 or e-mail email@example.com
- Blue Cart – Loraas Recycle at 306-242-2300 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Green Cart – Water & Waste Operations at 306-975-2486 or email email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
My cart wasn't emptied on my collection day. What should I do?
Extreme weather, mechanical failures, and lane conditions may disrupt collection. Please remember to watch for service alerts that may affect collection on your route. If there was no service alert issued and your cart was still not collected, please call the appropriate number located in the Customer Service section above.
What if I put my cart(s) in the wrong place?
If your cart is located in the wrong place, it may not be emptied on schedule. Refer to the illustrations and examples on this page to ensure that your carts are properly placed for collection.
What happens if my carts don’t get emptied?
If one or more of your carts are not emptied, please contact the appropriate service provider to investigate. Customer service information for black, blue and green cart collection is listed within this website.
What if I’m going to be away when my cart is collected?
If you know you’re going to be away when your cart is scheduled for collection, ask a neighbour or someone else to roll out it out for pick-up and return it to your yard or garage. Excess recycling can be taken to a City Recycling Depot or Loraas Recycle at no additional cost.
What should I do if someone has dumped or gone through my cart(s)?
Your carts have been assigned to your household and are your responsibility. That’s why it important to take care of them and ensure that they are returned to your yard after they have been emptied. Tampering or damaging carts, or adding or removing material to carts other than your own, is an offense under the Waste Bylaw #8310 and may result in fines.
- Scavenging can be reported by calling the 24/7 Customer Service Centre at 306-975-2486
- If you witness scavenging try to get photos and/or video that will provide valuable information. Please only do this if it is safe to do so.
- Write down as much information as you can including:
- Licence plate number and description of the vehicle
- Description of the people involved
- Time, date and location of the incident
My normal regular pick up falls on a statutory holiday. Do I still put out my cart?
Refer to your Collection Calendar for your scheduled days, including holidays.